For most property owners, a leaking roof is one of the most common issues. With persistent water dripping from the roof, it is a serious problem leading to health complications and damage to the building’s foundation. Since the roof is constantly exposed to extreme temperatures, freeze-thaw cycles, and strong winds, it is highly vulnerable to damages like cracks, holes, missing or broken shingles, and so on.
The average lifespan of a concrete roof is up to 30 years. Whereas, shingle roof lasts between 15 to 20 years. Nonetheless, it is maintenance that goes a long way in extending the life of your roof. You can also prevent leakage and keep your roof in good working condition if you undergo conservation strategies religiously. Apart from calling a reputed roof contractor NY for waterproofing solutions, there goes a lot from your end for preventing leakage!
Maintenance Tips to Prevent Roof Leakage
To keep the roof in the shipshape of your commercial building or high-rise residential complex, we have listed down some general maintenance tips. They are easy to implement and can save you from annoying roof leakage.
- It is of utmost necessity to inspect your roof regularly. This must be the priority in your maintenance routine. Examining the damage issues like blisters, cracks, holes, broken or missing shingles, peeling paint, etc. are the leading causes of water seepage. These act as the prime sources of leakage and when left unattended can result in disastrous consequences. If you notice any such concerns, call a professional for roof leak repair promptly.
- You may contemplate exterior damage is the only culprit and has nothing to do with the interiors. Here goes the biggest misconception! The attic or the topmost floor of your building may often go unnoticed because most property owners presume roof leakage is caused by external damage only. Improper ventilation in the attic leads to moisture and heat build-up. It allows the roof to soak the moisture causing rot in sheathing and rafters and buckles in shingles. Alongside this, the growth of molds and algae is often prevalent.
- Roof flashings are crucial to direct water away from joints and seams. Thus, they help in preventing water penetration in cracks and openings. Defects in flashing like improper fitting, holes, and gaps are easy to access for water seepage.
- Clogged gutters and downspouts prevent water passage. They are an integral part of roof waterproofing, keeping water away from the roof and building. When clogged with debris, water pools underneath shingles and seeps into the walls and ceilings. It can lead to severe repercussions, often requiring damaged roof replacement.
- Big trees with overhanging branches over the roof often result in considerable damage that is overlooked until you notice cracks on your ceiling or create damp patches. Dried leaves and twigs not only cause clogged gutters and drip edges, but the heavy branches may often fall on your roof during a storm. The impact may lead to cracks and weaken structural integrity. So trimming the tree branches once in a while is a good idea to avoid catastrophes.
It does not take much to keep your roof healthy and functioning properly if you keep a close call on its maintenance. Ignoring even the slightest concern can cause you huge problems in the future! Roofs are highly prone to leaks. You can prevent them only when you are aware of controlling them. If you need immediate attention to your leaking roof, call Trice Restoration Inc today- the creditable roofers in NYC. The sooner, the better!